Best Theater of 2019!
– The New York Times
A RE-ENACTMENT OF DEPORTATION PROCEEDINGS
Performed in Active Legal Spaces
An intimate encounter with our nation’s immigration court system, The Courtroom follows Elizabeth Keathley, an immigrant from the Philippines who was married to a U.S. Citizen came to this country in 2004 on a K3 Visa. After inadvertently registering to vote at the DMV in Bloomington, IL, receiving a voter registration card in the mail, and voting, her removal proceedings were set in motion. Her case began in Immigration Court and was eventually heard by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. The Courtroom is performed entirely verbatim from court transcripts.
Monthly performances of The Courtroom are currently on hiatus due to COVID-19. We look forward to announcing more performances as soon as we can.
Running time: 85 minutes with no intermission.
Photos by Maria Baranova.
Check out the video trailer for The Courtroom below!
- Featured in the Best Theater of 2019!The New York Times
- “THE COURTROOM” DELIVERS AN UNFLINCHING LOOK AT ELIZABETH KEATHLEY’S IMMIGRATION NIGHTMAREAll Arts
- The Most Unlikely Broadway Show Ever Wants to Change How We Think About American PoliticsRolling Stone
- Play about immigration recreates a real deportation caseFox 5 NY
- A Play About DeportationWNYC
- Waterwell's THE COURTROOM to Receive Live Encore PresentationBroadway World
- Token Theatre Friends: Arian Moayed’s Lesson in Immigration LawAmerican Theatre Magazine
- Theater as Moral Meditation in ‘Catonsville Nine’ and ‘The Courtroom’The New York Times
- Broadway.com #LiveAtFive with Arian Moayed from The CourtroomBroadway.com
- Production Photos: The Courtroom Off-BroadwayPlaybill
- The Courtroom, starring Ruthie Ann Miles and Kathleen Chalfant, ExtendsTheater Mania
- Ruthie Ann Miles, Kathleen Chalfant, More Set for Site-Specific The CourtroomPlaybill
- Waterwell Presents The World Premiere Of THE COURTROOM Re-enacting Deportation ProceedingsBroadway World
- Lee Sunday Evans to Direct World Premiere of The CourtroomTheater Mania